Skip to main content

Drinking From Different Wells

Okay (smile), I am going to teach you a good habit for your Christian growth. That is, if you are willing to really grow. Believe it or not, there is actually a weird bunch of “believers” who are neither concerned about growth nor interested in learning. Regardless, if you are like me, you are a student of this Christian Faith, who is always open to learning.

The primal and only teacher in this Christian life is none other than the Spirit of Christ Himself. This is what Apostle John describes as “the Anointing that we all have from the Holy One that teaches us all things.” And the first avenue that He uses to teach is His own written Word; the Bible.  “Sanctify them by the Word, your Word is truth”, were the words of our Lord to His disciples. It means when we open the pages of Scripture, the Spirit of Christ is there to illuminate our minds so we can understand deep things about our Saviour and how He applies to our lives. The second means by which we are taught by the Anointing is through fellow believers, most Bible particularly those who are gifted to be Apostles, evangelists, teachers, Pastors, etc. These are the “wells” that are meant by the title above. Before I get on that, let me first address two pitfalls that God’s people always default into.

We have the first group that does not believe that we already have the Anointing to teach us all things, but their faith is always dependent on the so-called “anointed men of God”. Hence these pitiful souls need their “spiritual fathers” for everything in their faith walk in the form of regular prayers, “alters”, “spiritual coverings”, anointing oils, anointed clothes and even the picture of the “papa” is believed to carry some power for protection. How sad that these people cannot rejoice in the fact that in Christ, a believer is already complete, without any outside medium. Because our Lord is now our great High Priest who passed into the heavens for our sake so that we can approach the throne of grace with confidence to find help in time of need.

The second extreme on the opposite side of our ditch is those guys who claim to receive direct insight from the Holy Spirit, hence they have no need of either Scripture or human teachers that have been given to the Church according to Ephesians 4:11. These folks forget that as much as believers have the resident Spirit, He nevertheless, instructs, guides, illuminates through His written Word. Hence our quoted text, “sanctify them by your Word, your word is truth.” The term “sanctity” means to purify or to make them holy, (which is a work of the Holy Spirit) by your Word (which means the Word and the Spirit work together to make God’s people holy). For this reason, it’s the Spirit Himself who has blessed the Church with gifted men, who are able to teach and preach the written Word for the salvation and sanctification of God’s people. Therefore, those who reject the ministry of the Holy Spirit through Scripture and human teachers have no idea of who the Holy Spirit is and how He works among His people.

Now, enough chasing that rabbit trail, the main message I have for you is that God has not just given you the Holy Spirit, nor has He gifted all people the same way. But he has lavished His gifts on different individuals throughout history. All of them have been called to be witnesses of the same Gospel message, yet I am amazed by the fact that each man has been graced with different personalities and styles to present that message. Why? Answer: So that we can learn from each other; generation after generation. Therefore, be a student of this Christian doctrine and learn from other men who have gone before you in this harvest of heaven. Do not make the mistake of drinking from the same well. I mean do not follow the teaching of only one mentor. That is dangerous because each man has his own strengths plus weaknesses. And you do not want to be a duplicate version of that man, including his flaws and blindspots. Hence it is vital that you drink from a variety of wells, so that you do not copy the style and character of no one, instead, you only draw particular strengths from each man of God so as to fortify your own spirituality whilst developing your own style and character for presenting the same Gospel that others have been preaching.

If you were to ask me about the people who have influenced my Christian life, I would not tell you about one man, because I have not followed anyone, and even my mentors know that I am not 100% dependent on their insights, but I have only used what’s beneficial from them while rejecting and disagreeing with some things I have learned from other men. For example, I have been influenced a lot by Paul Washer, yet I have not been a copycat of him because I have also been greatly influenced by Charles Lawson, whom I also disagree with on his KJV-only doctrine because I have also listened to a lot of James White, who can also fiercely debate me on Eschatology. I can mention more men that have shaped my Christian life such as Ray Comfort, Steve Lawson, John MacArthur, Conrad Mbewe, Ken Mbugua, Joel Beeke, David Platt, John Piper and many more. That, on top of my personal mentors such as Pastor Ridgewel, and Pastor Tashaya. The Holy Spirit has used all these men to shape my own doctrine and style which is uniquely mine, without being a copy of anyone. That is what it means to drink from different wells.
 
Therefore, take my warm advice and do not depend on one man. Learn from a multiple of sources; read ancient books, watch the latest Youtube content, radio talkshows and even listen to those you disagree with including false prophets, atheists, and Muslims. That is how we grow in wisdom and knowledge of our Saviour, so that we can teach others and effectively defend the Faith – having considered all viewpoints. That of course, is on top of your daily Bible study and prayer.  I think I have written enough words for this day. I will leave you to chew on what we discussed today, Grace and Peace.

Sinothi Ncube


Related Content...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tithe; The Hidden Truth That You Will Never Be Told

Evangel Africa does not glory in controversies but that everyone may come to the truth of the Gospel as written in Scripture, hence we do encourage everyone to test all our teachings in light of what the Bible says. On that note, without fear or favour, we are going to correctly explain the real truth about tithe that you were never told; its origin and its application to the New Testament believers . This might be the most important thing you will ever read. First, understand this The foundation of all this must begin with your understanding about Covenants. There are two main covenants in the Bible, the Old Covenant and the New Covenant . The Old Covenant was a binding agreement between God and specifically the people of Israel, through strict obedience of the Law in return for God’s blessings (Duet 28:1-14) – while the New Covenant is a binding agreement between God and all people through the work of Jesus on the Cross in return to doing nothing but just faith in Christ (Heb 8:6-13)

Locating the Right Lady for Marriage

I was listening to a local radio station and the topic was about the modern generation of men who are no longer interested in being married. In some sense, I can resonate with that because I remember the frustration I had when I was ready for marriage; there was no one among all the church ladies who was woman enough to deserve my hand of marriage. Why is this so, why does it seem like it is becoming harder for church boys to find suitable partners? Now as a disclaimer, this is a Believers-only discussion, we have no business with what worldly people do in the lust of their flesh. Nonetheless, suppose you were hunting for that dream girl, what characters would you look for? Let’s dig in… Salvation I am sorry, but this is non-negotiable. You can’t and you will not build any sustainable Christian home with an unbeliever. A goat will always be a goat and will by no means cooperate with sheep. As I hinted a few articles ago that the greatest challenge in the church today is that a great ma

Is the Church the New & True Israel?

I know that we have strong opinions about this issue. And also our emotions are quite attached to this conversation; all shaped by our experiences, political affiliations and the like – understandably so. However, my duty is to deal with this question: what does the Bible say? Whenever we start with that question, guaranteed, we are shielded from our biases towards the actual truth of the matter. Believe it or not, this is one of the most important things to learn and to have a clear understanding of. It will affect how you read the Bible. Even more, a clear understanding of this issue will affect your attitude toward Jewish people who are in Israel today. Who is Israel by the way? Believe it or not, there are some who disagree on this question, hence I will just let Paul tell us who an Israelite is when he says, … “For I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member of the tribe of Benjamin… ”( Rom 11:1 ). Therefore, only the physical, direct descendants of Abraham, Isaac

My Personal Issue With the SDA Church

Indeed I used the word “personal” as the headline of my script, yet the truth is, I have no personal problem with any faith, or church whatsoever. My issue is and will always be a doctrinal one . That is, I begin by looking at Scripture and the truth therein, then use that to judge my own life, and also anything else, including churches and other religions at large. As you might expect, the views expressed in this article are not coming from hear-say, but I have done my homework and consulted the official sources from our brothers in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. These are the concerning issues I have found out. Ellen G White If perhaps you are new to this name, Ellen White is not only the founder of the Seventh- Day movement, but her teachings are also the basis of the entire SDA Church doctrine. Her writings are what the SDA members call “the spirit of prophecy”. It is concerning enough that what she wrote is regarded by the Adventist Church as being “divinely inspired” (on the s