Skip to main content

Winning the Private Battle

There is nothing as important to the Christian Faith as the public image. As a matter of fact, it was for this purpose that our Saviour was publicly crucified. Not only that His redemptive work may be clearly displayed to everyone, but also so that all can choose to openly follow Him. Which means being a Christian itself is a public display of what one believes; just as we see the Apostles also calling people to repentance in the public arena (Act 2:38).  That is, it’s important for everyone to know who you are and where you stand with regard to the Lord Jesus Christ. Hence we can fairly conclude that anyone who does not show any evidence of public display of what they believe is questionable if really they are in the faith.

Regardless, as much as the public persona is a necessary element of a believer’s life, there is still something more important: the private life. What a person is at glance, must be an overflow of what he is up close. If I may dare to use myself as an illustration: I know that there are many people who know me. As a matter of fact, there are more people who are watching me, than those who are listening to me. Perhaps I have successfully presented myself as the “holy man”, and yes, that is a good thing if the end goal is to set an exemplary Christian life. Indeed, my deepest desire is to be real; no pretending or hypocrisy whatsoever. That includes an honest admission that I also struggle for holiness and I have many times failed my Saviour. I also cry with Paul, “For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing (Rom 7:19).” It would be deception on my part if the public image is the most important thing. Because I can’t escape the reality that there is more to me than what people see through a Sunday suit. The number one thing that all Christians must be concerned about, and work the hardest to improve is their private walk with Christ. This is contrary to other religions, who work so hard to impress others with their so-called good deeds, while their own hearts are left unchecked of hate, racism and pride.

I consulted Steve Lawson the Bible teacher about this issue, and this is what he said, “What we are must be more important than what we do. Our godliness is more important that our giftedness. What we are before God takes precedence over what we are before men. Our private life has to take priority over our public life. How we live is more important than where we serve. Our walk with God is more essential than our work for God. The size of our hearts must be more important than the size of our church. Our piety is more important than our platform, our purity than our program, our integrity than our ministries. Our souls are more important than our success.” Beloved, I believe these words can be sound advice to all of us who call on the name of the Lord. As one preacher said, God doesn’t want 10% of your income, He wants 100% of your heart. It matters to God who you are, especially during that moment when no one else sees you.

Most people get surprised when they hear that so and so has fallen into some big sin. Yet the truth is, no one ever “falls” all of a sudden. It’s born out of gradual sliding towards that direction. Before an army can lose the war, they first lose multiple small battles to make up for that big loss. Hence we must all call ourselves to accountability privately, before we are accountable to others, publicly. Once you win that inward spiritual battle and endeavor to kill those sins behind closed doors, it will inevitably overflow into the public eye. And the reverse is true; once I indulge myself secretly, it’s only a matter of time before I fall openly. It’s just the way it is.

Therefore, how is it with your soul; are you so righteous, and so organized in front of others while the reality is that you are falling apart from the inside? You are such a spiritual leader, but is it the same thing at home, before your own kindred; can your husband/wife and kids testify on your behalf about the genuine nature of your Christian persona? How about your alone self; can you acknowledge and even repent of your sins that only you know about? If so, that is good. It shows that your Christianity is not just a public showoff, but Jesus is real to you even when you are alone. Here is another quote, this time from Tim Keller, “the infallible test of spiritual integrity, Jesus says, is your private prayer.” But if you don’t care about that and only become spiritual when you are in front of others then you must be afraid. Because you are like those people that Jesus rebuked for being white-washed tombs, who looked good on the outside while inside they were full of dead man’s bones. If anything, hypocrisy should be the very thing that we all endeavor to run away from; as much as possible. Again I repeat this point; that true Christianity is not being perfect, but it’s being honest about who we are before God, and before others. Borrowing the words of a good preacher again, “The only people who are saved are those who are ashamed of themselves, and not ashamed of Christ.” From there, we can make efforts to kill sin and to discipline ourselves toward godliness. Is that a reality in my own life?

Here is the conclusion. If you love Christ, never be ashamed of Him; never hesitate to let others see who your Lord is. This is the exemplary faith that is missing today. However, never be fooled into believing that what people see on the church platform is all that is needed for Christian living. Before your outward behavior, there must be an inward purity of heart. Always prioritize your private walk with Christ and the public image will take care of itself. Maybe the Lord also have mercy on me, Amen.
 

Sinothi Ncube

Related Content...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tithe; The Hidden Truth That You Will Never Be Told

Evangel Africa does not glory in controversies but that everyone may come to the truth of the Gospel as written in Scripture, hence we do encourage everyone to test all our teachings in light of what the Bible says. On that note, without fear or favour, we are going to correctly explain the real truth about tithe that you were never told; its origin and its application to the New Testament believers . This might be the most important thing you will ever read. First, understand this The foundation of all this must begin with your understanding about Covenants. There are two main covenants in the Bible, the Old Covenant and the New Covenant . The Old Covenant was a binding agreement between God and specifically the people of Israel, through strict obedience of the Law in return for God’s blessings (Duet 28:1-14) – while the New Covenant is a binding agreement between God and all people through the work of Jesus on the Cross in return to doing nothing but just faith in Christ (Heb 8:6-13)

Locating the Right Lady for Marriage

I was listening to a local radio station and the topic was about the modern generation of men who are no longer interested in being married. In some sense, I can resonate with that because I remember the frustration I had when I was ready for marriage; there was no one among all the church ladies who was woman enough to deserve my hand of marriage. Why is this so, why does it seem like it is becoming harder for church boys to find suitable partners? Now as a disclaimer, this is a Believers-only discussion, we have no business with what worldly people do in the lust of their flesh. Nonetheless, suppose you were hunting for that dream girl, what characters would you look for? Let’s dig in… Salvation I am sorry, but this is non-negotiable. You can’t and you will not build any sustainable Christian home with an unbeliever. A goat will always be a goat and will by no means cooperate with sheep. As I hinted a few articles ago that the greatest challenge in the church today is that a great ma

Is the Church the New & True Israel?

I know that we have strong opinions about this issue. And also our emotions are quite attached to this conversation; all shaped by our experiences, political affiliations and the like – understandably so. However, my duty is to deal with this question: what does the Bible say? Whenever we start with that question, guaranteed, we are shielded from our biases towards the actual truth of the matter. Believe it or not, this is one of the most important things to learn and to have a clear understanding of. It will affect how you read the Bible. Even more, a clear understanding of this issue will affect your attitude toward Jewish people who are in Israel today. Who is Israel by the way? Believe it or not, there are some who disagree on this question, hence I will just let Paul tell us who an Israelite is when he says, … “For I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member of the tribe of Benjamin… ”( Rom 11:1 ). Therefore, only the physical, direct descendants of Abraham, Isaac

My Personal Issue With the SDA Church

Indeed I used the word “personal” as the headline of my script, yet the truth is, I have no personal problem with any faith, or church whatsoever. My issue is and will always be a doctrinal one . That is, I begin by looking at Scripture and the truth therein, then use that to judge my own life, and also anything else, including churches and other religions at large. As you might expect, the views expressed in this article are not coming from hear-say, but I have done my homework and consulted the official sources from our brothers in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. These are the concerning issues I have found out. Ellen G White If perhaps you are new to this name, Ellen White is not only the founder of the Seventh- Day movement, but her teachings are also the basis of the entire SDA Church doctrine. Her writings are what the SDA members call “the spirit of prophecy”. It is concerning enough that what she wrote is regarded by the Adventist Church as being “divinely inspired” (on the s