Skip to main content

What About “holy” Lying?

What if you find yourself in a situation where you have to lie to protect someone or even to save a life? A homely example is a Christian lady by the name Corrie-Ten Boom, whose house was a safe hiding place for persecuted Jews during World War II. When the Hitler soldiers knocked on her door, she denied ever having any hiding people inside her house. Hence those souls were saved from sure death – through that lady’s lie! So what does God say about that? What does the Bible say about that?

In all honesty, this is the most difficult topic I have ever discussed. In fact, I might as well disappoint you by saying that I am still learning on this one, hence I will not end here with a definite conclusion. What I will do is to provide you with two different opinions about this issue. So that you can also learn to think and decide for yourself. Let’s go...

Opinion 1: Lying is wrong, there is no justification for it.
Our God is holy, and lying is sin. Scripture is clear that “all liars will have their part in the lake of fire” In fact according to Proverbs, a lying tongue is one of the 7 things that God hates. Hence there is nothing like “lying for good reason.” Nowhere does your Bible divide lying into two categories; good and bad. Nowhere do we find a Biblical teaching that says you are allowed to twist truth in certain situations. It’s either truth or lies. Righteousness or sin. Pastor John MacArthur goes on to say that “God does not need your lie to accomplish His purposes”.  Meaning that God knows how to govern His universe controlling the events of our lives according to His will. Hence there is no need to lie at the job interview so as to get that job, because if the Lord wills, you cannot get that job even if you lie. Just a few articles ago I emphatically reminded all of us that God is a Spirit of Truth. Hence if we claim to be His servants, we will be lovers of truth and haters of lies. By the way, what killed Ananias and Sapphire? Lying! This means the Almighty He will not, under no circumstances, lower down His holy standard to accommodate our lying habits.

Opinion 2: As much as straight lying is wrong, lying for a good cause is not. That is, some situations have worse consequences when truth is told. For example, Rahab the prostitute clearly lied to protect the people of God (Josh 2:1-6), in fact, according to Scripture, what this woman did was a great act of faith (Jam 2:25) – enough to earn her a spot among God’s Hall of Fame (Heb 11:31). Therefore, one can conclude that “lying for good reasons” is understandable in the heavens. Personally, I think God alone knows if there ever is any justification for twisting the truth for whatever reasons. Because there is a huge possibility that most of what we define as “good lies” are actually true lies that we cook up so as to protect our self-interests. Regardless, I also believe that there are indeed very difficult situations where you will have no choice but to tell lies. For example, when some terrorist points a gun at you and asks if you have any hidden family members. Obviously, you wouldn’t give him the truth so he could kill your people, would you? How the Lord would judge me for lying in such a situation is beyond my knowledge. What I am sure of is that the Judge of the whole earth will always do what is right; repaying all evil and rewarding all good accordingly.  

Summary: I just brought this up for your consideration because it has been bothering my mind for some time. Regardless of your standpoint, I must encourage all of us to always strive to speak the truth all the time. If it happens that you find yourself in a tight corner to tell lies, you might try to avoid that by simply saying, “I don’t want to tell you” or if someone asks for something that you don’t want to give, instead of lying, “I don’t have it” you can just say, “I don’t have enough to give you.” Having said this, I am aware that each situation is different, and that it’s not always that easy all the time. Regardless, I hope you understand that I can only chew this much. As I said, I am still learning about this difficult matter, Lordwilling, next time I will have a clear answer. Otherwise, good luck in your efforts to speak the truth.

Sinothi Ncube


Related Content...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tithe; The Hidden Truth That You Will Never Be Told

Evangel Africa does not glory in controversies but that everyone may come to the truth of the Gospel as written in Scripture, hence we do encourage everyone to test all our teachings in light of what the Bible says. On that note, without fear or favour, we are going to correctly explain the real truth about tithe that you were never told; its origin and its application to the New Testament believers . This might be the most important thing you will ever read. First, understand this The foundation of all this must begin with your understanding about Covenants. There are two main covenants in the Bible, the Old Covenant and the New Covenant . The Old Covenant was a binding agreement between God and specifically the people of Israel, through strict obedience of the Law in return for God’s blessings (Duet 28:1-14) – while the New Covenant is a binding agreement between God and all people through the work of Jesus on the Cross in return to doing nothing but just faith in Christ (Heb 8:6-13)

Locating the Right Lady for Marriage

I was listening to a local radio station and the topic was about the modern generation of men who are no longer interested in being married. In some sense, I can resonate with that because I remember the frustration I had when I was ready for marriage; there was no one among all the church ladies who was woman enough to deserve my hand of marriage. Why is this so, why does it seem like it is becoming harder for church boys to find suitable partners? Now as a disclaimer, this is a Believers-only discussion, we have no business with what worldly people do in the lust of their flesh. Nonetheless, suppose you were hunting for that dream girl, what characters would you look for? Let’s dig in… Salvation I am sorry, but this is non-negotiable. You can’t and you will not build any sustainable Christian home with an unbeliever. A goat will always be a goat and will by no means cooperate with sheep. As I hinted a few articles ago that the greatest challenge in the church today is that a great ma

Is the Church the New & True Israel?

I know that we have strong opinions about this issue. And also our emotions are quite attached to this conversation; all shaped by our experiences, political affiliations and the like – understandably so. However, my duty is to deal with this question: what does the Bible say? Whenever we start with that question, guaranteed, we are shielded from our biases towards the actual truth of the matter. Believe it or not, this is one of the most important things to learn and to have a clear understanding of. It will affect how you read the Bible. Even more, a clear understanding of this issue will affect your attitude toward Jewish people who are in Israel today. Who is Israel by the way? Believe it or not, there are some who disagree on this question, hence I will just let Paul tell us who an Israelite is when he says, … “For I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member of the tribe of Benjamin… ”( Rom 11:1 ). Therefore, only the physical, direct descendants of Abraham, Isaac

My Personal Issue With the SDA Church

Indeed I used the word “personal” as the headline of my script, yet the truth is, I have no personal problem with any faith, or church whatsoever. My issue is and will always be a doctrinal one . That is, I begin by looking at Scripture and the truth therein, then use that to judge my own life, and also anything else, including churches and other religions at large. As you might expect, the views expressed in this article are not coming from hear-say, but I have done my homework and consulted the official sources from our brothers in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. These are the concerning issues I have found out. Ellen G White If perhaps you are new to this name, Ellen White is not only the founder of the Seventh- Day movement, but her teachings are also the basis of the entire SDA Church doctrine. Her writings are what the SDA members call “the spirit of prophecy”. It is concerning enough that what she wrote is regarded by the Adventist Church as being “divinely inspired” (on the s