Skip to main content

The Danger of Saying "God Spoke To Me"!


There is nothing as disturbing in the Church today, as the common claim by many well-meaning brethren that God regularly speaks to them somewhere in private corners. It is far more fashionable, these days, and more tickling to the ears, to hear people say, “the Lord told me,” than it is to hear them say “the Bible says.”
At the start of this subject, some are quick to object this way: are you suggesting that God doesn’t speak to us? Are you implying that it’s okay for us to speak to Him in prayer while it’s wrong for His Spirit to communicate back to us? Well, that is not my issue. You misunderstand this. My concern is not that God doesn’t speak to us or not. Certainly, I do believe that the Holy Spirit communicates, leads and guides His people.

My issue here and my serious concern is how do you know when He does speak to you? How sure are you that you are not mistaking your “gut feeling”, your emotion or your wishful thinking as the word from the Lord? My issue is a people who are not ashamed to presume upon God’s Name; who boldly claim things and cook up stories that He never said. Let me give you a homely example of my concern. There was a US election about a year or two ago, and a whole lot of American “prophets”, including the old men Pat Robertson and Kenneth Copeland, all boldly declared that God had assured them that Donald Trump would win. Of course, they were wrong! A little further than that, a very famous Nigerian prophet, named T. B Joshua also falsely predicted that Hillary Clinton would win the 2016 US election. This is the same man who told the whole world, live on camera that God had spoken to him and told him that the Corona Virus would end on 27 March 2020. Another lie in God’s name!

It’s not just false prophecies that I am addressing here, but it seems a majority of Christians mistake anything that comes to mind as a message from the Holy Spirit. How many have you heard say, “God said to me”, yet if you ask them, what language did He use to speak to you, was it English or your mother tongue? How was the sound of His voice; bass or monotone? How sure are you that it was Him, can you bet your life on it? I can stop here and rewind history so as to give you a long list of men and women who have founded false religions and cults, all in the name of “Jesus said this to me.” Some are they who have gone so far as to write books that are supposedly written by God Himself, I guess we must add those books as part of Scripture, don’t you think? I just logged onto the Youtube platform and typed “God spoke to me”, you won’t believe how huge the pile is of video material of folks that claim that “Jesus talked with me” this and “the Holy revealed this to me” that. Do I actually believe that the good Lord really spoke to those people? No, not even in a million years! Do you now notice that many play around with the Holy One and accuse Him of things He never said? This is a major problem; the very thing that deeply disturbs my soul.

Think of it this way, suppose you could not make it to some important meeting where you were supposed to be the main speaker. Then in your absence, I stand up, as straight-faced as I can be, and speak on your behalf and boldly say things that you would have never said if you were present.  Now tell me, how would you respond if you hear that some individual spoke on your behalf and told people things that you wouldn’t say in a million years? This is exactly what many believers do to the Lord. They are definitely not ashamed, and certainly not afraid, to stand up, cock-eyed, and say, “Jesus spoke to me” or “the Holy Spirit said this to me” when in fact, it’s all lies. Some are they who made terrible life decisions because they believed that God had directed them when in reality it was all imagined in their minds. I have been to some churches where anyone can pop up from nowhere, disrupt the service and announces “what God is saying”, re-directing people and sometimes even changing the order of the church programs. There is also those ones who rely on their dreams. They wake up every morning hunting after every dream they had and look for its meaning from everywhere, even from under rocks. I even heard that there are now Bible schools, where they “teach you how to hear the voice of God” and of course, you will pay a large sum for it. This is how messed-up the modern generation is when it comes to spiritual things.

In the Old Testament, when somebody came out and said, “thus says the Lord”, he was taken seriously and his claim examined strictly, such that when they realized that he lied in the Holy Name of the God of Israel, he was immediately captured and then stoned to death as a dangerous false prophet. It’s because they understood that God is holy, His Name was not to be taken in vain. Yet these days, anyone seems to have a right to say anything, no matter how ridiculous and even sinful, and hope that people will accept it on the basis of “the Spirit told me.” If this doesn’t bother you, dear beloved, I am not surprised. You are part of that group that doesn’t care about the reputation of the Lord’s Name that is everyday blasphemed among unbelievers because of all the foolishness we promote in His name.

The real danger
When you presume upon the Holy Name, and you happen to be wrong, surely you can get away with it according to the standard of today’s corrupt church, but I warn you, that before Him, the Almighty King, you will be guilty of lying about Him, dragging His Name in the mud. Think like this: if I say to you God told me to quit your job and start a business as soon as possible, then after leaving your good job, the proposed business fails before it even starts, and your kids sleep on starvation, who do you blame? God of course; He led you astray. This is the reason why many people now disdain the Name of God because they believe that He failed them in many ways. Do you see? The second sure danger about lying in Jesus’ Name, is harming the well-being of other people; both physical and spiritual. You tell me that you are a good Christian, but you just don’t care, you loosely throw the name of God around, regardless of how it affects the souls of other people. The final peril hangs on your own soul. When you trust your “inner voice” more than the written Word, what’s to stop you from leading yourself to the damning ditch?

Scripture alone!
Sometimes I ask: so you say God speaks through my heart, how then can I be sure that it’s Him, what’s the difference between Him and my own mind processes? Except for the fact that I never get a clear answer to this, I have heard answers like, “well, you just have to discern through your conscience and “gut feeling”, if it doesn’t feel right, probably it’s not from God.” That my friend, doesn’t solve our problem. It actually makes it worse, because “there is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end, it leads to death” (Prov 14:12). The root error is that many look for God’s voice from within their feelings, emotions and what else. Mark my words, this is the reason for the kind of chaos and confusion that we have in the body of Christ today. The best thing you will ever learn is that God has spoken. Again, I say this to thwart the plans of those who say they heard me say that God never speaks anymore. He does speak. So loudly than you know. Yet His true, fresh, powerful, living, clear and authoritative Word is not found in your mind but in the Bible. Just do the world a favour and save yourself a lot of trouble by opening that book, you read it slowly, prayerfully and seriously; I guarantee you that the Lord will speak to you. He will direct your paths and help you with everything you need for life, salvation and godly living (2 Tim 3:15-17). Through Scripture alone! If you are not satisfied with that, if you don’t want it, then feel free to listen to the strange voices of those “God spoke to me” guys. We will see where it takes you. With that, I take my seat.


Sinothi Ncube

Related Content...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tithe; The Hidden Truth That You Will Never Be Told

Evangel Africa does not glory in controversies but that everyone may come to the truth of the Gospel as written in Scripture, hence we do encourage everyone to test all our teachings in light of what the Bible says. On that note, without fear or favour, we are going to correctly explain the real truth about tithe that you were never told; its origin and its application to the New Testament believers . This might be the most important thing you will ever read. First, understand this The foundation of all this must begin with your understanding about Covenants. There are two main covenants in the Bible, the Old Covenant and the New Covenant . The Old Covenant was a binding agreement between God and specifically the people of Israel, through strict obedience of the Law in return for God’s blessings (Duet 28:1-14) – while the New Covenant is a binding agreement between God and all people through the work of Jesus on the Cross in return to doing nothing but just faith in Christ (Heb 8:6-13)

Locating the Right Lady for Marriage

I was listening to a local radio station and the topic was about the modern generation of men who are no longer interested in being married. In some sense, I can resonate with that because I remember the frustration I had when I was ready for marriage; there was no one among all the church ladies who was woman enough to deserve my hand of marriage. Why is this so, why does it seem like it is becoming harder for church boys to find suitable partners? Now as a disclaimer, this is a Believers-only discussion, we have no business with what worldly people do in the lust of their flesh. Nonetheless, suppose you were hunting for that dream girl, what characters would you look for? Let’s dig in… Salvation I am sorry, but this is non-negotiable. You can’t and you will not build any sustainable Christian home with an unbeliever. A goat will always be a goat and will by no means cooperate with sheep. As I hinted a few articles ago that the greatest challenge in the church today is that a great ma

Is the Church the New & True Israel?

I know that we have strong opinions about this issue. And also our emotions are quite attached to this conversation; all shaped by our experiences, political affiliations and the like – understandably so. However, my duty is to deal with this question: what does the Bible say? Whenever we start with that question, guaranteed, we are shielded from our biases towards the actual truth of the matter. Believe it or not, this is one of the most important things to learn and to have a clear understanding of. It will affect how you read the Bible. Even more, a clear understanding of this issue will affect your attitude toward Jewish people who are in Israel today. Who is Israel by the way? Believe it or not, there are some who disagree on this question, hence I will just let Paul tell us who an Israelite is when he says, … “For I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member of the tribe of Benjamin… ”( Rom 11:1 ). Therefore, only the physical, direct descendants of Abraham, Isaac

My Personal Issue With the SDA Church

Indeed I used the word “personal” as the headline of my script, yet the truth is, I have no personal problem with any faith, or church whatsoever. My issue is and will always be a doctrinal one . That is, I begin by looking at Scripture and the truth therein, then use that to judge my own life, and also anything else, including churches and other religions at large. As you might expect, the views expressed in this article are not coming from hear-say, but I have done my homework and consulted the official sources from our brothers in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. These are the concerning issues I have found out. Ellen G White If perhaps you are new to this name, Ellen White is not only the founder of the Seventh- Day movement, but her teachings are also the basis of the entire SDA Church doctrine. Her writings are what the SDA members call “the spirit of prophecy”. It is concerning enough that what she wrote is regarded by the Adventist Church as being “divinely inspired” (on the s