Skip to main content

I Lost My Salvation? Part 2

This is a continuation of our previous article where we answered the question; can a believer lose their salvation and go to hell? If you missed part one here is the link

 Can You Lose Your Salvation? part 1


What about unconfessed sin?
Those who subscribe to a temporal salvation always appeal to unconfessed sin as the reason for a believer’s condemnation – apparently, God saves those who have confessed every jot of sin two seconds before death. Here is the catch; you don’t know every sin you have committed. Surely you may know some, that you can confess, but what about those sins you commit without knowing, and will never know? In reality, no one will ever know or remember every sin they have committed. Then it means no one will be saved because everyone will die with some unconfessed sin one way or the other – Do you see the problem?

However, let’s try to refresh our minds this way; you are saved by God, through faith in Christ. That salvation includes repentance, or let’s call it, confession. During that process, I don’t confess by naming every sin I ever committed because I don’t remember every sin. Rather, I confess who I am – a sinner. The issue is not really what I did, but who I am before the Holy One. Therefore true repentance unto salvation is not confessing every sin I did, but it’s a confession of the condition of my soul – I am a wretched man pleading for forgiveness. Whatever it is Lord, just wash me and make me a new creature! This is what we see with the tax collector in Luke 18:13; he didn’t bother naming every sin but he only acknowledged the condition of his soul by simply saying, “God have mercy on me a sinner.”

Following that is the process of salvation. Christ forgives once and for all; past, present and future. This is where many of us have a misunderstanding because we imagine Jesus to only forgive my sins that I confess now, leaving me to deal with my future sins on my own. Do you think that is true?  The sins I will commit next year, were they not forgiven the day I got saved? If that is the case then it means salvation is temporal. It means we need to be re-saved again and again every time we sin until we get saved for the 10000th time, seconds before death. That is not salvation at all! 

Again I write this; the blood of Jesus is powerful enough to wash away all your sins that you have, and will ever commit in your lifetime. The past sins, the present sins and the future sins; are all forgiven once and for all, the moment you believe in Christ. The promise of the Gospel is that whoever believes in Christ is instantly given eternal life. It does not say, “We will give you eternal life if we first see that you have confessed every sin before dying.” Dear friend, please get this; every sin, confessed or not has already been taken away the moment you trusted in Christ! The work of Christ is complete and perfect; you don’t need to keep getting saved because you are once and for all justified; dressed with the righteousness of Christ and declared righteous.  Therefore it doesn’t matter what sin you committed five seconds before death; it was included with all the other sins that were washed the day you came to Christ. Did you learn that?  

One more question; once we are saved, is there a need to keep confessing our sins every time we come to prayer? Answer; yes. Regular confession of sin by the ones who are already believers is necessary, not for the sake of salvation (we are already saved) but for the sake of sanctification. As we grow in Christ, being more conformed to the image of Christ, sin must lose its power. Therefore we confess it every time because we want to destroy that sin in our lives – so that we can better fellowship with our Saviour. It’s a way of saying, “Father, I lied yesterday, please forgive me and give me power to never lie like that again, because I want to glorify you in every area of my life” – something like that nje.

What about those who fall away?
Having gone through the verses that advocate for eternal security, I must be honest enough to point out some verses that teach that there are some who fall away from the faith. One example is the disciples of Jesus who went back in John 6:66 or the branches that are connected to the Vine only to be cut and thrown to the fire according to John 15:2. In fact Hebrews 6:4-6 warns that it is impossible to bring someone back if they fall away after having tested the heavenly gift. Million-dollar question; how is it possible that Jesus said He loses none of His sheep yet there are some who fall away from Him on their way to destruction? You see that already we have two opposing ideas in one Bible.

Knowing that Scripture does not contradict itself, we must combine these two ideas by this application; those disciples who fall from grace permanently are proving that they were never true disciples, to begin with. This is well supported by Hebrews 12:6-8 which reminds us that true sons are disciplined back to the path whenever they temporarily fall away. On the other hand, those without discipline altogether, are illegitimate children (were never part of the family). Indeed they might live their whole lives thinking that they are part of the family, even behaving like the true sheep but in reality, they were never His – as evidenced by the absence of the hand of discipline from the Father. Hence if you can turn your back against the Christian Faith, and continue to go back without return until you leave this world, then you were never a true sheep of Jesus. True believers can fall into sin for a season, only for their Shepherd to hunt for them and bring them back home. Now I understand! 

This is the end of our time together. Remember that we learned that Christ does not give us a two-year guarantee salvation, then it expires and we find ourselves in hell. On the opposite, true salvation is eternal and permanent. This is never an excuse to sin freely because those who are truly saved have the desire to please their Saviour. Therefore, to you who is truly saved I say; you don’t have to live the next moment with constant dread of losing your salvation, rather, rejoice and have peace because Christ will keep your salvation until the last minute. If you sin, He is faithful to discipline you and bring you back to the faith. Can I hear an Amen?



Sinothi Ncube  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tithe; The Hidden Truth That You Will Never Be Told

Evangel Africa does not glory in controversies but that everyone may come to the truth of the Gospel as written in Scripture, hence we do encourage everyone to test all our teachings in light of what the Bible says. On that note, without fear or favour, we are going to correctly explain the real truth about tithe that you were never told; its origin and its application to the New Testament believers . This might be the most important thing you will ever read. First, understand this The foundation of all this must begin with your understanding about Covenants. There are two main covenants in the Bible, the Old Covenant and the New Covenant . The Old Covenant was a binding agreement between God and specifically the people of Israel, through strict obedience of the Law in return for God’s blessings (Duet 28:1-14) – while the New Covenant is a binding agreement between God and all people through the work of Jesus on the Cross in return to doing nothing but just faith in Christ (Heb 8:6-13)

Locating the Right Lady for Marriage

I was listening to a local radio station and the topic was about the modern generation of men who are no longer interested in being married. In some sense, I can resonate with that because I remember the frustration I had when I was ready for marriage; there was no one among all the church ladies who was woman enough to deserve my hand of marriage. Why is this so, why does it seem like it is becoming harder for church boys to find suitable partners? Now as a disclaimer, this is a Believers-only discussion, we have no business with what worldly people do in the lust of their flesh. Nonetheless, suppose you were hunting for that dream girl, what characters would you look for? Let’s dig in… Salvation I am sorry, but this is non-negotiable. You can’t and you will not build any sustainable Christian home with an unbeliever. A goat will always be a goat and will by no means cooperate with sheep. As I hinted a few articles ago that the greatest challenge in the church today is that a great ma

Is the Church the New & True Israel?

I know that we have strong opinions about this issue. And also our emotions are quite attached to this conversation; all shaped by our experiences, political affiliations and the like – understandably so. However, my duty is to deal with this question: what does the Bible say? Whenever we start with that question, guaranteed, we are shielded from our biases towards the actual truth of the matter. Believe it or not, this is one of the most important things to learn and to have a clear understanding of. It will affect how you read the Bible. Even more, a clear understanding of this issue will affect your attitude toward Jewish people who are in Israel today. Who is Israel by the way? Believe it or not, there are some who disagree on this question, hence I will just let Paul tell us who an Israelite is when he says, … “For I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member of the tribe of Benjamin… ”( Rom 11:1 ). Therefore, only the physical, direct descendants of Abraham, Isaac

My Personal Issue With the SDA Church

Indeed I used the word “personal” as the headline of my script, yet the truth is, I have no personal problem with any faith, or church whatsoever. My issue is and will always be a doctrinal one . That is, I begin by looking at Scripture and the truth therein, then use that to judge my own life, and also anything else, including churches and other religions at large. As you might expect, the views expressed in this article are not coming from hear-say, but I have done my homework and consulted the official sources from our brothers in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. These are the concerning issues I have found out. Ellen G White If perhaps you are new to this name, Ellen White is not only the founder of the Seventh- Day movement, but her teachings are also the basis of the entire SDA Church doctrine. Her writings are what the SDA members call “the spirit of prophecy”. It is concerning enough that what she wrote is regarded by the Adventist Church as being “divinely inspired” (on the s